August 6, 2014

Steak Night

I had a craving for steak one night but couldn't get a table at any of my favourite steak places, so I decided to make my own. I've used the pan sear + basting method before (sorry no grill!), but I used a thin steak last time and it came out very well done. I must've missed the part in the recipe about how I should be using a thick steak instead, because it was overcooked before I even used the butter. I was so caught up with the times stated on the recipe that I forgot to check the steak for doneness. Also didn't have a meat thermometer (shame). The flavours came out great but it was just too tough for my liking. So this time I bought a thicker steak. 

For starters we had Roasted Whole Artichokes. I chucked them into the oven before seasoning the steak, so that they could be done around the same time, as the steak needed to come to room temperature before cooking. The steak was delicious. It was a perfect medium rare and the butter-thyme added extra flavour and crust to the steak. I will definitely cook my steaks like this from now on!


Pick your beef. I chose a US grass-fed organic ribeye steak. Season very generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan until slightly smoking and carefully add the steak. I held the steak with tongs and put the steak in by the side closest to me first. This avoids hot oil splashing all over me.

Flip the steak frequently, until a pale golden brown crust starts to develop.  

Add the thyme and butter to the pan. Turn down the heat a notch to prevent the butter from burning.

Now baste. Spoon the butter over the steak.

Remove the steak. Pour the juices from the pan over it and let the steak rest for at least 5 minutes before carving into it. My steak looks light here in some spots, so next time I will make sure to baste it more evenly.

Recipe - adapted from Serious Eats

For 2

Ingredients

1 large ribeye steak
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
6 sprigs thyme

Method
  1. Pat the steak dry with paper towels. Season liberally on all sides with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over high heat until it begins to smoke. 
  3. Add the steak carefully and cook, flipping frequently until a pale golden brown crust starts to develop, around 3-4 minutes total.
  4. Reduce heat to medium, and add the butter and thyme to the pan, while flipping the steak occasionally.
  5. To baste, tilt the pan slightly and spoon the butter over the steak.
  6. Test for doneness. According to the original recipe, the thermometer should register 120-125F / 50C for medium rare. 
  7. Remove steak, pour the butter/thyme over it and let rest for 5 minutes.







2 comments:

  1. hi christine, how thick is your steak? like 1 cm? 2 cm? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. The steak I used was about 1-inch thick. Try not to use steaks thinner than that because they will likely dry out fast!

    ReplyDelete