Everyone loved the cookies. I think my boyfriend must have eaten at least four in a row! We probably have to spend some extra time at the gym to make up for it.
Apart from sweets, I enjoy cooking savory things too. I used to cook for myself almost every weeknight when I was studying abroad, and now I usually cook on the weekends with my family as guinea pigs. One of the easiest sides to whip up and impress with flavor are roasted brussels sprouts. I absolutely hated them until I made this recipe for a special request. I had only eaten the boiled icky kind before so I was hesitant to try roasting them. But now I am a convert and I love them roasted like this. They are super easy to make! You just cut them up and put them in the oven. I add bacon to give it extra depth in flavor and I find that it helps caramelize the sprouts more to make them sweeter.
MmmMMMm crispy bacon and caramelized sprouts!
- Brussel sprouts (one pack should be enough for 2 people as a side)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- Bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 195C/380F.
- After rinsing the sprouts, remember to drain well or else they will be harder to crisp up in the oven.
- Chop the hard stem off the bottom of the sprouts and then in half.
- Put the sprouts on a baking tray in one layer and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
- Put the bacon evenly throughout the layer of sprouts.
- Bake for 30 minutes* or until the sprouts become crisp
*Depending on your oven, you may have to check the sprouts at the 15-minute mark to make sure they don’t burn.